Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Story of Stuff

Still exploring the ideas of simplicity but came across this interesting video about all the stuff we have and some theories on why we think we need it. It is called the Story of Stuff - definitely made me stop and think about what I consume, what I pay for things, and their importance in my life.
I often tell people not to worry about food spills on my couch because it is just a thing. I often buy the cheaper option because I figure it will break or I will lose it anyhow so best not to invest much in it. After seeing this video, I wonder if my attitude was a bit skewed. Regardless, I never want things to take a higher priority than people but perhaps I need to take a less carefree attitude and try to keep my things in better shape and not just throw them out when worn or temporarily broken.
Then I wonder how living simply is connected to living sustainably. There are a lot of resources on how small steps to reduce your impact on the environment but there are a few suggestions, I am just not ready to embrace...such as - air travel and print newspaper & magazines (love to flip pages).
Still just trying to figure out what I need to do in my small life here.  

1 comment:

SJR said...

Hello my wise and wonderful blogging friend (aka Hin).
I have moved my blog to a new location:
jottings-sarah.blogspot.com
=)