Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lenten Meditations


Like so many Christian traditions, the practise of Lent is not found in the Bible. There is no "how-to-do-lent-for-dummies" manual hidden amongst the minor prophets. Growing up without the traditional church calendar allows me to meditate on these liturgical practices with freshness. For many, observing Lent requires a sacrifice of something they love - chocolate, alcohol, swearing, sarcasm - as a symbol of walking with Jesus in his suffering. However, as Lent approached, the idea to give up something in particular didn't really happened but rather, I felt the need to journey through a lenten meditation of sorts. I have begun to mull over the idea of living simply. Here is where my meditations are taking me...I will ask your forgiveness ahead of time as this post may be a bit of a ramble. I am still forming these thoughts.

Beyond the consumerism excess that we are surrounded by, I thought about the other things that hinder living simply. Here are some indulgences I hold onto:
- the hoarding of grudges
- the collection of worries
- the rationing of self
- the stinginess of love
- the scrimping of grace
- the squandering of time
- the depriving of talents

It is distressing to consider my own excesses of life and the skewed priorites. All of the attitudes listed above impact my desire and ability to live a simple life. As I contemplate what it means to have a simple life but yet to have it abundantly as Jesus gives to us through truth, I came to a question. Although the words abundant and excess are used as synonyms so often, they may be further apart in definition than we think. Isn't living simply actually more closely connected to living an abundant life because having an abundant life is not about your possessions but rather the joy and love in life? I wonder what my life would look like if I threw caution to the wind and:
- forgave the grudges
- released the worries
- gave more of myself
- distributed love more freely
- allowed grace to guide my decisions
- become intentional with my time
- offered my talents 

Perhaps the simple and abundant life is less about me and more about others.


In a complete change of topic, be sure to celebrate the International Women's Day today. The equality of women around the world will ensure the alleviation of extreme poverty and end violence against women and children. For those of us who know freedom and experience it daily, we have an obligation to speak out for our sisters who do not have a voice. For more information, visit the UN site.
  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...interesting thoughts, Sara. Is there a more positive aspect to 'abundant' than to 'excess', which might have a more negative connotation when referring to lifestyle. And might the right sort of abundant lead to simplicity? Got me thinking. g