Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Will the real Hong Kong please stand up?

Today, I met the real Hong Kong - the crowds, the British life and luxury.

We have moved over to the Kowloon side of Hong Kong for the next couple of days prior to our trip to Beijing and we are currently staying at a posh apartment complex in Kowloon with a pool, workout center, Internet cafe and free lattes on demand. This truly is the life!

This afternoon (after a very leisurely morning), we headed into the Mong Kok district to browse the "Ladies Market" - the name is really a mis-nomer as it has something for everyone. Kowloon and Mong Kok have the crowded streets and millions of people that is iconic Hong Kong. Apparently, Mong Kok is the densest population in the world. Loads of people but the market seemed less overwhelming or else I am just becoming immune to the chaos.

Funny thing - at the Ladies Market amid the millions of people, Christine and I run into 3 of the handful of people we know in Hong Kong - what are the odds??

After that shopping experience, Christine and I headed to the Peninsula Hotel for High Tea...English style. I have never had this very shee-shee poo-poo experience before and it was great.

Tomorrow is gearing up for another shopping day at the haute couture stores. Must wear my new Gucci fake glasses to fit in. I can't believe we are leaving for Beijing in less than 2 days. I think I have become friends with Hong Kong and it is good!

1 comment:

nicole said...

you make me wish i was there with you. thanks for the birthday wishes. don't forget to watch for funky crafting books with easy to follow pictures. love you much.