Wednesday, May 7, 2008

more and more of berlin

I don't really have anything deep to write about my trip. Staying with Wendy here has been great because she is also friends with Bobbi. I hope they continue their friendship when they are both back in Vancouver. Two phenomenal girls!

Since my last post, many more things have been seen and experienced. Still no photos due to a shared computer situation so just deal with it. Imagine my face next to some really old European architecture or a statue of some German dude or a picture of random quotes/words. That is what I have been taking pictures of (all 298 of them so far). I promise to share them once edited upon my return.

Here is another list of thrilling action in the life of Sara whilst in Berlin:
- Climb the dome at the Reichstag and saw Berlin by early morning light
- Experienced the coffee/cafe CARAS (my fav)
- Went shopping at H&M (I know we have it at home but how could I say no when there were 5 on one street in West Berlin)
- Explored a home/decor shopping mall (this could have been dangerous if my suitcases could fit armchairs - thank goodness for airline weight restrictions)
- Had Vietnamese at Mr Hai & Friends
- Watched the sunset with Bobbi, Wendy & Ben from Victoria Park
- Have had 5 different experiences of people coming up to me thinking I was German and asking me questions or starting conversations on the street.
- Pushed open gates and wandered in hofs
- Had Currywurst at Curry 36
- Trained it to Potsdam - a small city to the SW of Berlin
- Wandered the gardens of Sans Souci Palace in Potsdam
- Sat by a creek and journaled
- Picnicked in TierGarten with cheese/meat/bread/wine
- Had Wayne Gretzky pizza at Ron Telesky's Canadian Pizza
- Rented hot orange bikes and rode all around central Berlin
- Viewed the East Side Gallery (a major portion of the Berlin Wall still standing and used a canvas by various artists)
- Saw the Victory Tower

Am currently reading "Four Loves" by C.S. Lewis. It is a timely read for me as this trip is definitely a soul-searching time for me. The ideas around giving and needing love, as simple as they are on the surface, seem to be stopping me in my tracks.

Bye for now. Time is flying quickly but yet it is a good pace. Tomorrow we are exploring various aspects of the darker side of Germany and the Holocaust. Remembering my last time in Europe, coming face to face with that evil drained me. It will be a tough day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Confronting love ....and confronting the epitome of hate? ... sounds like a heavy couple of days. Love to you. g

nicole said...

wish i was with you guys!
love you much...give wendaloo a squeeze.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

to be in Berlin right now...