Friday, May 9, 2008

evil

Yesterday, Bobbi and I went to Sachenhausen, a concentration camp used by both the Nazis and Soviets for political prisoners. It was the model used for all other camps and the training grounds for the SS. The lack of humanity and the immense evil overwhelms. I have no answers, only questions.
- How do you write about this evil? Are there even words?
- How do you speak of inhumanity without wondering if you are capable of the same brutality?

Without the right words, I say today that I am a witness to this part of history. This bears a load of responsibility on my soul to speak against injustice and inhumanity wherever. As I am human so is my neighbour whether they live in Burma, China, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Palestine or Guatanemo Bay.

It has been a couple of deep days with visits to the Holocaust Memorial/Museum, The Topography of Terror and of course, Sachenhausen. I still need to process my sadness and my anger. But there is hope...there will be a day when evil will be gone and peace will come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"If only there were evil people somewhere
insidiously committing evil deeds,
and it were necessary only to
separate them from the rest of us
and destroy them.
But the line dividing good and evil
cuts through the heart of every human being.
And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?" -- Alexander Solzhenitsyn