Sunday, March 9, 2008

state-of-the-art

I love creating things and since I have embraced the idea that my art does not have to be perfect, I enjoy it even more. What makes art? Can art be art for art's sake?Do you have to make a living at your creative skill for it to be considered art? Dictionary.com defines art as:

the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

I think I have an artist soul within and every once in a while, I let the artist out to play. Here is what my artist did this week - a painting for my living room:


It has been a beautiful weekend here whispering the hope of spring. Because I have lived in Alberta for many years, I know this hint of spring will not last...winter will visit us again and again until June (and then perhaps even then). But for now, I am enjoying it especially on my run this morning by the Glenmore Reservoir...when I came upon a herd of deer by the path. A few deer started gently running at the same pace as me on the path...for a few minutes I was running in the middle of the herd. It was beautiful.

Thanks for all the helpful advice for insomnia this week...the next night I had a most fabulous sleep. And my breakfast event went off splendidly - in fact, another $70,000 was raised to support a future event in April to help women and their children who are homeless and escaping abusive situations.

4 comments:

The Chatty Housewife said...

What an amazing story about the deer. I would have loved that. I have only seen a deer once here near my home, and it was a little short scraggly thing. I miss those big white tailed deer of the prairies!

I love your painting. It's beautiful!

Amy.E said...

Congrats on the event!
LOVE the painting!

Amy said...

Sara, can I just say I think you're fabulous?!

Jen L said...

So I think that your art is aesthetic enough that I would buy it. I am teaching (more like supervising)an art class this semester, so I get to sneak in a few creative moments. in between telling students that it in only 3:15, so now it is not time to pack up yet. 11 more sleeps.