Tuesday, February 10, 2009

the great adult dilemma

I currently own a car...and have had a great relationship with it for the past 8 1/2 years. It has been faithful and reliable. However, as old age begins to set-in, things are starting to go awry. The back brakes need replacing, the fan only works on high, the gas gauge has good days and bad days and now the fuel pump has failed. This reliable car left me stranded on the roadside last night...I was not impressed.

In the light of day, I realized this car is really only worth $2500. My dilemma is whether or not to put $2000 into fixing it. This may be just the beginning of many fixes before the old car drives itself into the ground. Or alternatively, do I purchase a new car for me?

I am contemplating a small car and currently the Toyota Yaris, smartfortwo, Honda Fit & Chev Aveo are in the running. Although Honda and Toyota are definitely on the tops. My service guy (at the GM dealership) told me I should buy Japanese - ironically. What is a girl to do? New car or sink money into an old car?
3MC PURE.JPG.jpg3HA.JPG.jpg

5HA DX.JPG.jpg4SA LS.JPG.jpg


I think I know what I will end up doing...but my wisdom detection system may be failing me tonight.

5 comments:

nicole said...

but new car...hybrid???

nicole said...

I mean, BUY

The Chatty Housewife said...

My vote would be to buy a new used car. Something around 2-4 years old that has lost value only because it isn't on the car lot anymore and it's previous owner bought the newest model. Not a Smart for two because The Mr. sees a lot of people come through those at the border practically holding their shopping purchases on their laps. There is definitely not enough storage space for women and all their toys in those things! I have also seen a semi truck or two almost blow them off the highway, and that's with a dry, ice free road. Good luck with your shopping. :)

Amy.E said...

May I recommend the BRB Evolution? What girl would not look sleek, chic, and cutting edge with a fold-up car.

Never mind the fact that they aren't actually available for purchase.

Have fun! Car shopping can be great sport even if you don't end up buying something.

SJR said...

We need an updates on Sara's adventure... =)