Sunday, December 30, 2007

An Instrument of Peace


Last Sunday, at St. Mary's Anglican Church, during a simple congregational prayer response written by St. Francis of Assisi, I was overwhelmed by simple words:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.


Those who know me, know I love words. Each year, I choose a word as a theme to focus on. In the past, the words have been simple ones such as joy, hope, beloved. Leading up to each new year, I start meditating on words and themes. During this past month, I have been thinking about what life would look like if I really put others before myself. It is amazing how life works itself out as during that Sunday morning service last week, I knew that my theme for 2008 will not be a single word but a prayer. The prayer is simple but the reality of living it is not. What I have learned from the past is the chosen words/themes reveal truth and learning I could not comprehend at the beginning. I do not know if seeking to live this prayer is possible but I know that it is an area I need to explore. What would my life look like if I became an instrument of peace?

1 comment:

Amy said...

amen, if you shoot for something grand even if you don't achieve it, at least you'll be farther than you were before...can you imagine if everyone tried to live this prayer?