Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Advent

The Christmas season is nearing. Advent has started. A sense of Christmas is starting to spread through my soul. Last week, I attended "A Christmas Carol" at Theatre Calgary (the poem I posted last week was from the play). On Friday, there will be a little Hallelujah Chorus happening as I head to hear Handel's Messiah. I am taking a friend who has never heard it live. I love taking people to their first performance of this amazing music. My mom did that for me years ago and it is one of my favorite Christmas memories. I even remember what I wore for the concert - I think my mom bought me a new dressy outfit for the occasion.

Tonight, while listening to Elvis Christmas and Boney M, I finished decorating my home with Christmas baubles. However, I have yet to spend any real time contemplating the Advent of Christmas. But I have about 7 or 8 days off before the holidays so I hope to take some moments to truly anticipate the celebration. I am not sure if I blogged about this last year but the Advent Conspiracy is a great movement to re-new the true Christmas meaning. I hope to share with you what I am learning this holiday season.


This year, for my annual Christmas brunch, I decided to do a "party with a purpose" and will be asking for a donation to the YWCA of Calgary and their work with women and children in need. A fabulous organization in our city. If you are looking to give back this season, I humbly suggest this charity. Or for my family, if you are wondering what to get me for Christmas, a donation to the YWCA would make my day.

No comments: